Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Psytrance in Csound - 5. I Give Up

Before you think I'm a flake, let me just say that... well, at least I tried. But I think I proved my point: it IS possible to produce a track entirely in Csound -- if one is willing to couple Csound's synthesis capabilities with good samples, well-programmed effects and a LOT of patience.

I'm confident that I'll still use Csound to design kicks, hats and the like, but arranging something in score form really is counter-intuitive and uninspiring. There are options though. blue integrates Csound with a user-friendly interface and powerful arrangement tools. Maybe someday I'll dig deeper into its capabilities.

IMHO, what would really take Csound to the next level would be the ability to compile instruments into VST plugins. CsoundVST came close, but no cigar. But I digress.

So I'm retiring this project, but I just found something I came up with that I almost forgot about... coming up next!

1 comment:

thumbuki said...

Hey Joe,

I just wanted to let you know the latest Csound Journal has been published, which includes two of your psytrance instruments and musical example. I made sure to reference you and your blog in the acknowledgments and reference section:

Article: dseq - A Drum Machine Micro-Language

Thanks again!