Sunday, January 13, 2008

Psytrance in Csound. 1 - Intro

I recently read something about one of BT's tracks, All That Makes Us Human Continues, being completely written in Csound. It's amazing that all the nuances in the song were, at one point, nothing but hundreds of lines of code. That re-sparked my interest in Csound, so I decided to put a little more time into it.

I'm a hands-on kind of guy and decided that, if I'm going to put time into something as complex as Csound, I might as well make music with it. I've been listening to a lot of Psytrance, mainly Infected Mushroom's IM The Supervisor and other Israeli stuff like Hypersonic and Injection.

The Psytrance kick is the foundation of the genre, and the Infected Mushroom website has a nice little tutorial on how to create your own kicks in editors like Sound Forge. I made over a dozen kicks using their method, which seemed a little haphazard to me. If I could have more control over the pitch shifting described in the tutorial, I could design the perfect kick for each song. That's where I made the connection: Csound and Psytrance are made for each other!

In this article (and its following chapters) I'll narrate the steps of this experiment and post the Csound code. Keep in mind I'm new to Csound AND Psytrance, so don't expect breathtaking results. I just hope to have a finished song at the end of this madness.

So, let's start with the kick... in the next article.

No comments: